FUN BALLOON FACTS
WHAT ARE LATEX BALLOONS REALLY MADE FROM?
– Latex balloons are made from liquid rubber, a natural material that is harvested from rubber trees mainly in the rain forests of the Indonesia area. Latex is harvested almost the same way maple syrup is. They are 100% biodegradable, and in the same conditions, will decompose as fast as a leaf from a tree.
HOW LONG WILL A HELIUM INFLATED LATEX BALLOON STAY UP FLOATING?
– There are many different manufactures of latex balloons. Balloon Kings only uses latex balloons by Qualatex, the best latex balloon on the market, made right here in the USA. The standard float time of an 11” latex balloon with 3/16” curling ribbon can range from 14-20 hours
WHY DO HELIUM INFLATED LATEX BALLOONS DEFLATE FASTER THAN FOIL BALLOONS?
– Latex is a porous material and it breathes. With helium being the second smallest atom, it finds its way thru those pores and exits the balloons. For an example, it would be like the pores of our skin and we naturally sweat. A misconception is that the helium “breaks down”; the helium actually escapes a latex balloon.
HOW CAN YOU MAKE A LATEX BALLOON LAST LONGER?
– Ask your balloon supplier if they have a product called “Hi-Float”. It is a gel that goes inside a latex balloon, and then it will in fill in those pores so the helium does not escape. This is a NON-TOXIC gel.
WHAT ARE FOIL BALLOONS REALLY MADE OF?
– Foil balloons are made of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) or nylons, both are man made materials. These materials are specially coated to give the balloon their foil-like appearance. They do not carry the risk of allergic reaction
WHY DO FOIL BALLOONS LOOK LIKE THEY ARE DEFLATING IN THE COLD?
– The helium gas starts to contract around the temperature of 50-45 degrees and will decrease in volume. Once the balloon is in a warmer place the balloon will coming back to its normal size.
WHEN WAS THE FIRST BALLOON MADE?
– The first documented balloon was in the Aztec Era. The first balloon was not a balloon that floated like we are use to today, but similar to the balloons that we currently use to make the animal balloons with. The Aztec’s would use the innards of animal intestines to make.
Comments or questions are welcome.